Thursday, January 10, 2013

New year, new (green) you

I start every morning with a green smoothie. I know a lot of people's reactions to them are at best negative. But, I promise they taste delicious and are so good for you. I've eaten them for breakfast for just shy of a year.

The wall of fatigue that I used to hit around 3pm at work - you know the wall, where you debate the acceptability of napping under your desk - is eliminated when eaten on a regular basis.

Which leads me to two points. The first, with getting in shape being such a big focus this time of year, be sure to add them to your diet, they jump start your day and metabolism and help get you to your healthy weight.

The second, while fruits and vegetables aren't the cheapest this time of year, starting the day right means eliminating the mid morning Starbucks break. Which can shave a good $5 off your daily spending,

Here's my recipe - it certainly isn't a science, the banana flavour is so strong it is hard to go wrong. Let me know if you have any suggestions for making it better!

Ingredients:
A handful of spinach (build this up over time as your body begins to crave it)
About half a frozen banana
Frozen cut up peaches or mangoes
A few cut strawberries
Water added as necessary to desired thickness

Mix together in a blender - we use the magic bullet - and enjoy! Case in point it is delicious? Even my cat Henry can't resist.




No comments:

Post a Comment