Sunday, January 13, 2013

DIY Facewash / scrub

This week, super inconveniently for someone on a strict budget, I ran out of my face moisturizer and scrub. As I was scanning Sephora to restock, I had a thought - was there a simple DIY method to replace both of these for less?

And so the search began. The scrub was easy, within moments I had a recipe for a simple and gentle scrub - baking soda and water. Things that cost me nothing as they were already sitting in my pantry.

The recipe is straight forward:

- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water



Mix together, and rub on your face for a couple moments, then rinse.

I found that the mix didn't feel like a scrub at all, I will actually try a little more baking soda next time. Once off though, my skin felt smooth but a little dry - it's something I'll try again though I'm not instantly convinced this is a true solution for me.

The more difficult search was a new DIY face moisturizer. Olive oil was the solution I was being offered by the Pinterest community - but with a little more research I found that a lot of people were breaking out after a few days as a result. My skin is combination, and while generally it is clear, I have a history of being prone to breakouts - I was too scared to try the olive oil approach.

I kept looking, and then I came across castor oil, and the "Oil Cleansing Method" . Years of oil free facial washes, moisturizer and a wide variety of cosmetics had me initially shaking my head. But, I couldn't argue with the logic - your skin needs natural oils, and when you strip them out your body is forced to over compensate with oils which ends in an oily face and breakouts. I also couldn't argue with online reviews - people who suffered from mild to severe acne were writing rave reviews. Castor oil is the secret here - with anti-inflammatory and healing properties, it helps to heal the skin and prevent further breakouts. Mixed with olive oil, with the same pH level as the skin, and moisturizing properties - you have a great face wash for moisturizing the skin without breaking out.

While terrified of breaking out, I couldn't help but at least try. Castor oil cost me $6 at a health food store, and the EVOO I already had in the cabinet. Again, the recipe is simple:

- 1.5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
- 2.5 teaspoons castor oil (cold pressed)
- Face cloth

** for dry skin 3:1 EVOO/Castor oil, for oily skin 1:3. 

Mix ingredients together and massage onto the skin. Once applied to the skin, run a face cloth under hot water, and apply for one minute (until the cloth starts feeling cold). Then rinse.


My skin instantly felt dewy, and glowed. I can't help but feel paranoid that I'm going to wake up in the morning with skin that has broken out from the oil - but so far so good, my skin feels amazing. I'll be sure to update you in the morning - but if this does end well, then the benefits extend beyond soft, clear skin - castor oil and EVOO are great for anti-aging.

Stay tuned for an update on both fronts.





No comments:

Post a Comment